Wednesday, February 16, 2011

GOT TO BE STARTING SOMETHING...

My favorite marketer/author Seth Godin is coming out with a new book called "Poke the Box".
I found this Q and A relevant to anyone who is 'starting something'.  Since what I am doing could fail, a thought that scares me, it was also good to read that someone who has been so successful could also have failed a few times.

BTW, I have a meeting with a commercial realtor who is very connected in Stamford this weekend. She knows the mayor, and some other influencial folks. So I plan on going over the highlights of my marketing plan and how it involves, connects and benefits the community at large.  Next step: keep building on those relationships until I have enough verbal backers to get this going. 

A Q&A with Seth Godin

Question: What does it mean to Poke the Box?


Seth Godin: Conformity used to be crucial--fitting in, not standing out. Compliance used to be the heart of every successful organization, every successful career. The reason? We all worked for the system, in the factory, doing what we were told. Now, though, compliance is no longer a competitive advantage.
Poke the Box is about the spark that brings things to life. We need to be nudged away from conformity and toward ingenuity, toward answering unknown questions for ourselves. Even if we fail, as I have done many times in my life, we learn what not to do by experience and doing the new.

This isn’t the same thing as taking a risk. In fact, the riskiest thing we can do right now is nothing.
I’ve had an extraordinary run, creating a dozen nationwide bestsellers, starting Internet companies and giving speeches around the world. The key thing I bring to the projects I take on is not more talent than most (I don’t) or even more hours than most (hardly). My contribution is a willingness to poke, to start, to lean into the project and to get it out the door.

Question: What will I learn from reading Poke the Box?
Seth Godin: Hopefully you will learn lots but do more. Start thinking about when you’ve taken initiative in a way that really meant something to you and your team, your family. When was the last time you did something for the first time? How did it feel?
There are no step-by-step how-to instructions in Poke the Box. Instead, you’ll find a series of layers, a foundation for taking a different approach to your work. Instead of learning to be more compliant, I want to push you to be the one who takes initiative.

Question: Why did you write this book?
Seth Godin: I’ve been fortunate enough to hear from almost a million people over the years, to talk with CEOs and bosses and customers around the world. And they all tell me precisely the same thing: it’s the motive force they demand, the person who will shake things up and move them forward.
Static is not an acceptable state. The status quo is no longer something we want at work or in politics or in any organization we care about.
The market is just waiting for people to step forward. I wrote the book for those people, the ones who’ve been hesitating to take the leap.

Question: Who is Seth Godin?
Seth Godin: I’m an author, entrepreneur, and a person who starts things.

Check him out at sethgodin.com .  

No comments:

Post a Comment